I fascinated in birds since I was a school boy. That might be my primary ambition driving me chosen the zoology as my major in postgraduate course in Lanzhou University when I finished my four years undergraduate life in South China Agriculture University in Guangzhou. I pursued my interest and then put my focus on birds after come to Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. I subsequently got the Ph. D. from IOZ and found a position in the Ornithology Research Group (ORG). In my Ph. D candidate course, I became more aware about avian taxonomics, molecular phylogenetics, and phylogeography. More importantly, I learned to understand the fantastic nature with an evolutionary viewpoint. My research now focused on molecular phylogenetics and population genetics in birds, especially passerine species endemic to China and some widely distributed species across the Eurasian continent. The projects and programs I’m engaged and involved mainly study the phylogeny and phylogeography of some passerine birds (e.g. Tits, Babblers, and Bulbuls) based on information from mitochondrial and nuclear sequences, microsatellites alleles, and genomic data. I recently became interested in consequences of birds’ distribution shifts induced by human activities, and try to understand the properties of the population structure and dynamics undergoing this scenario with genetic applications. I also spend much time in the field, leading scientific expeditions to, especially, study bird diversity in central China and the southeast part of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. These experiences in nature drive me now concentrate my research interesting on three topics: 1) the species richness pattern and genetic diversity pattern of birds in China and their relationship; 2) Demographic dynamics and population genetics responding to global changes: in past and in future; 3) Data compiling for distribution, phenotype and genetic resources and databases construction.
（*,corresponding author;#, contributed equally）
- Abebe, A.F., Cai, T., Wale, M., Song, G., Fjelds？, J. & Lei, F. 2019 Factors determining species richness patterns of breeding birds along an elevational gradient in the Horn of Africa region. Ecology and Evolution, 9, 9609-9623.
- Fan, L., Cai, T., Xiong, Y., Song, G. & Lei, F. 2019 Bergmann’s rule and Allen’s rule in two passerine birds in China. Avian Research, 10, 34.
- Hao Y, Xiong Y, Cheng Y, Song G, Jia C, Qu Y, Lei F. 2019. Comparative transcriptomics of 3 high-altitude passerine birds and their low-altitude relative. PNAS. 116: 11851-11856.
- Hao Y, Qu Y, Song G, Lei F. 2019. Genomic insights into the adaptive convergent evolution. Current Genomics. 20: 81–89.
- Liao, X., Yang, R.S., Xia, J., Chen, L., Zhang, R., Fang, L.X., Lei, F., Song, G., Jia, L., Han, L., Bai, S., Bai, R., Sun, J. & Liu, Y.H. 2019. High colonization rate of a novel carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella lineage among migratory birds at Qinghai Lake, China. J Antimicrob Chemother, 74(10):2895-2903
- Li, J., Song, G., Liu, N., Chang, Y. & Bao, X. (2019) Deep south-north genetic divergence in Godlewski’s bunting (Emberiza godlewskii) related to uplift of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and habitat preferences. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 19, 161.
- Cai TL, Fjelds？ J, Wu YJ, Shao SM, Chen YH, Quan Q, Li XH, Song G, Qu YH, Qiao GX and Lei FM. 2018. What makes the montane regions of Sino-Himalaya as the diversity hotspots of pheasants? Journal of Biogeography 45:640-651.
- Chen XM, Qu YH, Cheng YL, Wang J, Lei XH, Song G, Zhang HS, Wang HT and Lei FM. 2018. miR-19b-3p regulates MAPK1 expression in embryonic fibroblasts from the Great tit (Parus major) under hypoxic conditions. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry 45:546-560.
- Song G, Zhang R, Alstr？m P, Irestedt M, Cai TL, Qu YH, Ericson PGP, Fjelds？ J, Lei FM#. 2018. Complete taxon sampling of the avian genus Pica (magpies) reveals ancient relictual populations and synchronous Late-Pleistocene demographic expansion across the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Avian Biology e01612,1-14.
- Zhu XJ, Guan YY, Qu YH, Gabriel D, Song G# and Lei FM#. 2018. Elevational divergence in the great tit complex revealed by major hemoglobin genes. Current Zoology doi: 10.1093/cz/zox042.
- Zhu XJ, Guan YY, Signore A, Natarajan C, DuBay SG, Cheng YL, Han NJ, Song G, Qu YH, Moriyama H, Hoffmann FG, Fago A, Lei FM# and Storz JF#. 2018. Divergent and parallel routes of biochemical adaptation in high-altitude passerine birds from the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 115(8):1865-1870. doi/10.1073/pnas.1720487115
- 常勇斌, 贾陈喜, 宋刚, 雷富民. 2018. 西藏错那县发现藏南猕猴[J]. 动物学杂志, 53(2): 243 - 248
- Cheng YL*, Gao B*, Wang HT*, Han NJ, Shao SM, Song G, Wu SY, Zhang EY, Zhu XJ, Lu X, Qu YH# and Lei FM#. 2017. Evolution of beak morphology in the Ground Tit revealed by comparative transcriptomics. Frontiers in Zoology 14:58.
- Sun YF, Li M, Song G, Lei FM, Li DM and Wu YF. 2017. The role of climate factors in geographic variation in body mass and wing length in a passerine bird. Avian Research 8:1.
- Zhang DZ#, Song G#, Gao B, Cheng YL, Qu YH, Wu SY, Shao SM, Wu YJ, Alstr？m P and Lei FM#. 2017. Genomic differentiation and patterns of gene flow between two long-tailed tit species (Aegithalos). Molecular Ecology 26: 6654-6665.
- Ramos R, Song G, Navarro J, Zhang RY, Symes CT, Forero MG and Lei FM. 2016. Population genetic structure and long-distance dispersal of a recently expanding migratory bird. Molecular Phylogenetic and Evolution 99,194-203.
- Shao SM, Quan Q, Cai TL, Song G, Qu YH and Lei FM#. 2016. Evolution of body morphology and beak shape revealed by a morphometric analysis of 14 Paridae species. Frontiers in Zoology 13(1):1-10.
- Song G#, Zhang RY#, DuBay SG, Qu YH, Dong L, Wang WJ, Zhang YY, Lambert DM and Lei FM. 2016. Allopatric east and sympatric west, same population dynamics in the past: A multi-locus phylogeography of Long-tailed Tit across Eurasia continent. Zoologica Scripta 45,115-126.
- Song G#, Zhang RY#, Qu YH, Wang ZH, Dong L, Kristin A, Alstr？m P, Ericson PGP, Lambert D, Fjelds？ J and Lei FM. 2016. A zoogeographic break between the Palearctic and Sino-Japanese realms documented by consistent North / South genetic divergences in three woodland birds in eastern China. Journal of Biogeography 43, 2099-2112. (IF2015/3.997)
- 宋刚，贾陈喜，张德志，尹祚华，雷富民。2016。山西省夏县和沁水县发现银脸长尾山雀。动物学杂志 51(5):776
- Alstrom P, Xia CW, Rasmussen PC, Olsson U, Dai B, Zhao J, Learder PJ, Carey GJ, Dong L, Cai TL, Holt PI, Manh HL, Song G, Liu Y, Zhang YY and Lei FM. 2015. Integrative taxonomy of the Russet Bush Warbler Locustella mandelli complex reveals a new species from central China. Avian Research 6:9.
- Lei FM, Qu YH, Song G, Alstr？m P. and Fjelds？ J. 2015. The potential drivers in forming avian biodiversity hotspots in the East Himalaya Mountains of Southwest China. Integrative Zoology 10:171-181.
- Qu YH, Fu J, Han NJ, Zhao HW, Gao B, Tian SL, Cheng YL, Song G, Ericson PGP, Zhang Y, Wang DW, Quan Q, Jiang Z, Li RQ and Lei FM#. 2015. Genetic responses to seasonal variation in altitudinal stress: whole-genome resequencing of great tits in East Himalayas. Scientific Reports 5: 14256-14256.
- Qu YH, Song G, Gao B, Quan Q, Ericson PGP and Lei FM. 2015. The influence of geological events on the endemism of East Asian birds studied through comparative phylogeography. Journal of Biogeography 42, 179-192.
- Lei FM, Qu YH and Song G. 2014. Species diversification and phylogeographical patterns of birds in response to the uplift of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and Quaternary glaciations. Current Zoology 60(2): 149-161.
- Qu YH, Ericson PGP, Quan Q, Song G, Gao B, Zhang RY and Lei FM. 2014. Long-term isolation and stability explain high genetic diversity in the Eastern Himalaya. Molecular Ecology 23, 705-720.
- Song G#, Alstr？m P#, Gao XB, Zhang YW, Gong HS, Holt PI, Quan Q, Yin ZH and Lei FM. 2014. Rediscovery of an enigmatic Chinese passerine, the Blackthroat Calliope obscura: plumage, vocalizations, distribution, habitat choice, nesting and conservation. Journal of Ornithology 155: 347-356.
- Wang WJ, Dai CY, Alstr？m P, Zhang CL, Qu YH, Li SH, Yang XJ, Zhao N, Song G and Lei FM. 2014. Past hybridization between two East Asian long-tailed tits (Aegithalos bonvaloti and A. fuliginosus). Frontiers in Zoology 11:40
- Alstrom P#, Song G#, Zhang RY, Gao XB, Holt PI , Olsson U and Lei FM. 2013. Taxonomic status of Blackthroat Calliope obscura and Firethroat C. pectardens. Forktail 29, 52-57.
- Qu YH, Zhao HW, Han NJ, Zhou GY, Song G, Gao B, Tian SL, Zhang JB, Zhang RY, Meng XH, Zhang Y, Zhu XJ, Wang WJ, Lambert D, Ericson PGP, Yeung C, Zhu HM, Jiang Z, Li RQ# and Lei FM#. 2013. Ground tit genome reveals avian adaptation to living at high altitudes in the Tibetan plateau. Nature Communications 4:2071.
- Song G#, Yu LJ#, Gao B, Zhang RY, Qu YH, Lambert DM, Li SH, Zhou TL and Lei FM#. 2013. Gene flow maintains genetic diversity and colonization potential in recently range-expanded populations of an Oriental bird, the Light-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis, Aves: Pycnonotidae). Diversity and Distribution 19, 1248-1262.
- Wang WJ, McKay BD, Dai CY, Zhao N, Zhang RY, Qu YH, Song G, Li SH, Liang W, Yang XJ, Pasquet E and Lei FM#. 2013. Glacial expansion and diversification of an East Asian montane bird, the green-backed tit (Parus monticolus). Journal of Biogeography 40(6): 1156–1169.
- Gao B, Qu YH, Song G and Lei FM. 2012. Anonymous single-copy nuclear DNA (scnDNA) markers for Grey-cheeked Fulvetta (Alcippe morrisonia) and Rufous-capped Babbler (Stachyridopsis ruficeps). Conservation Genetics Resources 4(3): 777-781.
- Liu HT, Wang WJ, Song G, Qu YH, Li SH, Fjeldsa J and Lei FM#. 2012. Interpreting the process behind endemism in China by integrating the phylogeography and ecological niche models of the Stachyris ruficeps. PLOS ONE e46761.
- Qu YH, Zhang RY, Quan Q, Song G, Li SH and Lei FM#. 2012. Incomplete lineage sorting or secondary admixture: disentangling historical divergence from recent gene flow in the Vinous-throated parrotbill (Paradoxornis webbianus). Molecular Ecology 21, 6117–6133.
- Zhang RY. Song G, Qu YH, Alstr？m P, Ramos R, Xing XY, Ericson PG, Fjelds？ J, Wang HT, Yang XJ, Kristin A, Shestopalov AM, Choe JC and Lei FM#. 2012. Comparative phylogeography of two widespread magpies: Importance of habitat preference and breeding behavior on genetic structure in China. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 65: 562-572.
- Zhao N, Dai CY, Wang WJ, Zhang RY, Qu YH, Song G, Chen K, Yang XJ, Zou FS and Lei FM#. 2012. Pleistocene climate changes shaped the divergence and demography of Asian populations of the great tit Parus major: evidence from phylogeographic analysis and ecological niche models. Journal of Avian Biology 43: 297-310.
- Gao B, Yu LJ, Qu YH, Song G, Dai CY, Zhang RY, Yin ZH, Wang KF, Gao XB, Li SH and Lei FM. 2011. An unstructured phylogeographic pattern with extensive gene flow in an endemic bird of south China: collared finchbill (Spizixos semitorques). International Journal of Molecular Sciences 12(6): 3635-3647.
- Qu YH, Luo X, Zhang RY, Song G, Zou FS and Lei FM. 2011. Lineage diversification and historical demography of a montane bird Garrulax elliotii - implications for the Pleistocene evolutionary history of the eastern Himalayas. BMC Evolutionary Biology 11:174.
- Qu YH, Zhang RY, Cui P, Song G, Duan ZY and Lei FM. 2011. Evolutionary genomics of the pandemic 2009 H1N1 (pH1N1v) influenza viruses. Virology Journal 8: 250.
- Song G, Qu YH, Yin ZH, Li SH, Liu NF and Lei FM#. 2009. Phylogeography of the Alcippe morrisonia (Aves: Timaliidae): long population history beyond late Pleistocene glaciations. BMC Evolutionary Biology 9: 143
- Zhang, Y.M., Huang, D.J., Zhao, D.Q., Long, J., Song, G. and Li, A. 2007. Long-term toxicity effects of cadmium and lead on bufo raddei tadpoles. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 79, 178-183
- Huang, D.J., Zhang, Y.M., Song, G., Long, J., Liu, J.H. and Ji, W.H. 2007. Contaminants-induced oxidative damage on the carp cyprinus carpio collected from the upper yellow river, china. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 128, 483-488
- Liu, J.H., Zhang, Y.M., Huang, D.J. and Song, G. 2005. Cadmium induced mts synthesis via oxidative stress in yeast saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 280, 139-145
- 宋刚, 张迎梅, 朱丽娜, 侯亚妮, 谢卓艺. 2007. 黄河上游环境污染对花背蟾蜍抗氧化酶活性及丙二醛含量的影响[J]. 四川动物, , 26(2):434-437.
- 龙静, 张迎梅, 朱丽娜, 黄德军, 宋刚. 2006. 利用微核试验和彗星电泳试验评价黄河兰州段水质致遗传毒性作用[J]. 应用与环境生物学报, 12 (1):59-63.
- 王丙莲, 张迎梅, 侯亚妮, 宋刚，谭玉凤. 2006. 镉铅对泥鳅组织转氨酶活性的影响[J]. 兰州大学学报(自科版), 42(3):67-70.
- 高萍, 朱晓彤, 杨玉存, 宋刚, 傅伟龙. 2005. 甘氨酰谷氨酰胺对猪离体骨骼肌卫星细胞增殖和分泌IGF-1的影响[J]. 华南农业大学学报, 26(02):105-107.