|Key Laboratory of Zoological Systematics and Evolution, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1Beichen West Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, P.R. China
|Group of Ornithological
1991-1994 Ph.D. Ornithology, Institute of Zoology, CAS
1987-1990 M.Sc. Zoology, Shaanxi Normal University
1983-1987 B.Sc. Biology, Shaanxi Normal University
Positions and Employment:
2000-present, Professor, Institute of Zoology, CAS
1998-2000, Post-doc, University of Michigan, and as a visiting professor in California Academy of Sciences and University of Washington, USA
1996-2000, Associate Professor, Institute of Zoology, CAS
1994-1996, Assistant Professor, Institute of Zoology, CAS
|Taxonomy, vocalization and evolution.
Molecular phylogeny and phylogeography.
Geographical distribution, endemism and biodiversity conservation.
Adaptive evolution under extreme environments (e.g. Tibetan Plateau) by comparative genomics.
Molecular epidemiology of wildlife diseases (e.g. avian influenza)
|Awards and Honors:
2018, Inovative research fellow, Center for Excellence in Animal Evolution and Genetics, CAS
2015, National Excellent Scientific and Technological Worker
2014, Elected in leading the Inovation Team in Zoological Systematics and Evolution
2009, National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scientists
2008, Thomson Reuters Research Fronts Award 2008
2006, The 1st China Zoological Society Youth Scientist Award
2005, The 5th Tibetan Plateau Youth Scientist Award
2000, Cheng Tso-Hsin Excellent Youth in Ornithology Prize
2014-, Vice-president of the International Ornithologists’ Union (IOU)
2006/1998-, Fellow of (IOU) (formerly International Ornithological Committee)
2012-, Honorary member of American Ornithologists’ Union (AOU)
2007-, Scientific Program Committee member of 25th International Ornithological Congress
2005/2017-, Vice-/ President of China Ornithological Society
2001-, Member of China Rare & Endangered Species Scientific Committee
Other professional activities:
Editor-in-Chief, Avian Research
Associate editor-in-chief, Zoological Systematics
Editor, Current Zoology
Editor for Asia, Journal of Ornithology
Associate editor, Journal of Biogeography
Subject editor, Journal of Avian Biology
Editorial board members, in Scientific Reports, Integrative Zoology, Current Genomics, and etc.
|Main fundings (since last five years): source and amount: (Lei FM as PI)
On construction of bird biodiversity database in China
NSFC Key Program
On elevational species richness of birds in East Himalayan Mountains of Southwest China
China MOST Program
Investigation of animal resources and resource assessment of important animal groups in Southeast Tibet
Analysis of birds’ adaptive properties to the high Qinghai-Tibet plateau
A study on speciation and hybridization of the Black-browed Tit and Sooty Tit
NSFC Key Program
Studies on the evolutionary mechanisms of bird adaptation to the extreme environment of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau
Personnel: students and postdoctoral fellows:
Professor, Lei Fumin
Associate professor, Jia Chenxi
High Senior Engineer, Li Xiaobing
Visiting professor, for senior international scientist, Per Alstrom
2. Current graduate students:
Post-Doc fellows: Zhang Dezhi, Chen Xiumin, Cheng Yalin, Ji Yanzu
Ph.D candidates: Ahunim Fenitie Abebe, Ulziisaikhan Tumendemberel, Dilshod Akhrorov, Ilina Viktoriya, Fan Liqing, Xiong Ying, Hao Yan, Fan Ping, Chang Yongbin, Wu Yun, Jiao Xiaolu, Wu Lei
MS: Xia Huan, Yu Xin, Zhang Kai Top
Over 300 papers and chapters were published in the peer-reviewed journals or monographs, of which 160 papers were publiched in the SCI journals. # To whom correspondence.
- Abebe AF, Cai TL, Song G, Fjeldsa J, Wale M and Lei FM#. 2019. Species richness of breeding birds along the elevational gradients in the Horn of African Mountains. Ecology and Evolution 9:9609-9623.
- Alstrom P#, Rasmussen PC, Sangster G, Dalvi S, Round PD, Zhang RY, Yao CT, Irestedt M, Manh HL, Lei FM and Olsson U. 2019. Multiple species within the Striated Prinia Prinia crinigera-Brown Prinia P. polychroa complex revealed by integrative taxonomy. Ibis (10.1111/ibi.1275).
- Cai TL, Cibois A, Alstrom P, Moyle RG, Kennedy JD, Shao SM, Irestedt M, Qu YH, Lei FM# and Fjeldsa J. 2019. Near-complete phylogeny and taxonomic revision of the world's babblers (Aves: Passeriformes). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 130, 346-356.
- Chen YC, Nazarizadeh M, Lei FM, Yang XJ, Yao CT, Dong F, Dong L, Zou FS, Drovetski SV, Liu Y, Huang CC and Hung CM#. 2019. The niches of nuthatches affect their lineage evolution differently across latitude. Molecular Ecology 28:803-817.
- Fan LQ, Cai TL, Xiong Y, Song G and Lei FM#. 2019. Bergmann’s rule and Allen’s rule in two passerine birds in China. Avian Research 10:34.
- Hao Y, Qu YH, Song G and Lei FM#. 2019. Genomic Insights into Convergent Evolution. Current Genomics 20(2): 81-89.
- Hao Y, Xiong Y, Cheng YL, Song G, Jia CX, Qu YH# and Lei FM#. 2019. Comparative transcriptomics of three pairs of tits reveals convergence on high-altitude adaptation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 116 (24): 11851-11856.
- Jiang ZY, Gao B, Lei FM# and Qu YH#. 2019. Population genomics reveals that refugial isolation and habitat change lead to incipient speciation in the Ground tit. Zoologica Scripta 48:277-288.
- Liao XP, Yang RunS, Xia J, Chen L, Zhang RM; Fang, LX, Lei FM, Song G, Jia L, Han L, Bai SC, Bai R, Sun J, Liu YH. 2019. High colonization rate of a novel carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella lineage among migratory birds in Qinghai Lake, China. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (in press).
- Qu YH*, Chen CH, Xiong Y, She HS, Chen YL, DuBay SG, Li DM, Ericson PGP, Hao Y, Wang HY, Zhang YE, Zhao HF, Song G, Zhang HL, Yang T, Zhang C, Liang LP, Wu TY, Zhao JY, Gao Q and Lei FM*. 2019. Comparative genomics of Eurasian Tree Sparrow reveals regulatory evolution of the myosin genes underlying change of muscle phenotypes in early stages of highland adaptation. National Science Review (in press, Doi:10.1093/nsr/nwz138).
- Wang WJ, Wang YF, Lei FM, Liu Y, Wang HT and Chen JK. 2019. Asymmetric introgression between Chinese Spot-billed Duck (Anas zonorhyncha) and Mallard (A. platyrhynchos). Current Zoology 65(5): 589-597.
- Xie P, Shi JY, Tang SY, Chen CX, Khan A, Zhang FX, Xiong Y, Li C, He W, Wang GD, Lei FM, Wu YR and Xie Q. 2019. Control of bird feeding behavior by tannin1 through modulating the biosynthesis of polyphenols and fatty acid-derived volatiles in sorghum. Molecular Plant (in press).
- Xing LD, O’Connor JK, Chiappe LM, McKellar RC, Carroll N. Hu H, Bai M and Lei F. 2019. A new enantiornithine bird with unusual pedal proportions found in amber. Current Biology 29(15): 2594-2594.
- Zhang DZ, Tang LF, Cheng YL, Hao Y, Xiong Y, Song G, Qu YH, Alstrom P, Jia CX# and Lei FM#. 2019. Gene Flow and Deep Mitochondrial Divergence in Phylloscopus affinis Species Complex. Molecular Biology and Evolution (10.1093/molbev/msz170/5541797).
- Zhao M, Chang YB, Kimball RT, Zhao J, Lei FM# and Qu YH#. 2019. Pleistocene glaciations explain disjunction distribution of the Chestnut-vented Nuthatch (Aves, Sittidae). Zoologica Scripta 48(1): 33-45.
- Alstrom P, Rasmussen PC, Xia CW, Gelang M, Liu Y, Chen GL, Zhao M, Hao Y, Zhao C, Zhao J, Yao CT, Eaton JA, Hutchinson R, Lei FM and Olsson U. 2018. Taxonomy of the White-rowed Shortwing (Brachypteryx montana) complex on mainland Asia and Taiwan: an integrative approach supports recognition of three instead of one species. Avian Research 9:34,1-13.
- Alstrom P#, Rheindt FE, Zhang RY, Zhao M, Wang J, Zhu XJ, Gwee CY, Hao Y, Ohlson J, Jia CX, Prawiradilaga DM, Ericson PGP, Lei FM and Olsson U. 2018. Complete species-level phylogeny of the leaf warbler (Aves: Phylloscopidae) radiation. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 126, 141-152.
- Cai TL, Fjeldsa J, Wu YJ, Shao SM, Chen YH, Quan Q, Li XH, Song G, Qu YH, Qiao GX and Lei FM#. 2018. What makes the montane regions of Sino-Himalaya as the diversity hotspots of pheasants? Journal of Biogeography 45:640-651.
- Chen XM, Qu YH, Cheng YL, Wang J, Lei XH, Song G, Zhang HS, Wang HT and Lei FM#. 2018. miR-19b-3p regulates MAPK1 expression in embryonic fibroblasts from the Great tit (Parus major) under hypoxic conditions. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry 45:546-560.
- Song G*, Zhang R*, Alstrom P, Irestedt M, Cai TL, Qu YH, Ericson PGP, Fjeldsa J, Lei FM#. 2018. Complete taxon sampling of the avian genus Pica (magpies) reveals ancient relictual populations and synchronous Late-Pleistocene demographic expansion across the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Avian Biology e01612,1-14.
- Xu HG, Cao MC, Wang Z, Wu Y, Cao Y, Wu J, Le ZF, Cui P, Ding H, Xu WG, Peng H, Jiang JP, Wu YH, Jiang XL, Zhang ZY, Rao DQ, Li JQ, Lei FM, Xia NH, Han LX, Cao W, Wu JY, Xia X and Li YM. 2018. Low ecological representation in the protected area network of China. Ecology and Evolution 1-9.
- Yang J, Qu YH, Huang Y# and Lei FM#. 2017. Dynamic transcriptome profiling towards understanding the morphogenesis and development of diverse feather in domestic duck. BMC Genomics 19:391.
- Zhu XJ*, Guan YY*, Qu YH, Gabriel D, Song G# and Lei FM#. 2018. Elevational divergence in the great tit complex revealed by major hemoglobin genes. Current Zoology 64(4): 455-464.
- Zhu XJ*, Guan YY*, Signore A, Natarajan C, DuBay SG, Cheng YL, Han NJ, Song G, Qu YH, Moriyama H, Hoffmann FG, Fago A, Lei FM# and Storz JF#. 2018. Divergent and parallel routes of biochemical adaptation in high-altitude passerine birds from the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 115(8):1865-1870.
- Cheng YL*, Gao B*, Wang HT*, Han NJ, Shao SM, Song G, Wu SY, Zhang EY, Zhu XJ, Lu X, Qu YH# and Lei FM#. 2017. Evolution of beak morphology in the Ground Tit revealed by comparative transcriptomics. Frontiers in Zoology 14:58.
- Dai CY#, Hao Y, He Y and Lei FM#. 2017. The absence of reproductive isolation between non-sister and deeply diverged mitochondrial lineages of the black-throated tit (Aegithalos concinnus) revealed by a multilocus genetic analysis in a contact zone. BMC Evolutionary Biology 17:266.
- Dong F, Huang CM, Li XL, Gao JY, Zhang Q, Wu F, Lei FM#, Li SH# and Yang XJ#. 2017. Ice age unfrozen: severe effect of the last interglacial, not glacial, climate change on East Asian avifauna. BMC Evolutionary Biology 17:244.
- Liu BY, Alstrom P#, Olsson U, Fjeldsa J, Quan Q, Roselaar KCS, Saitoh T, Yao CT, Hao Y, Wang WJ, Qu YH and Lei FM#. 2017. Explosive radiation and spatial expansion of the Old World in an avian family. Ecology and Evolution 7(16):6346-6357.
- Liu L, Zhang J, Rheindt F, Lei FM, Qu YH, Wang Y, Sullivan C, Nie WH, Wang JH, Yang FT, Chen JP, Edwards S, Meng J and Wu SY#. 2017. Claims of homology errors and zombie lineages do not compromise the dating of placental diversification. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114 (45): E9433-E9434.
- Liu L, Zhang J, Rheindt F, Lei FM, Qu YH, Wang Y, Sullivan C, Nie WH, Wang JH, Yang FT, Chen JP, Edwards S, Meng J and Wu SY#. 2017. Genomic evidence reveals a radiation of placental mammals uninterrrupted by the Kpg boundary. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114 (35):E7282-E7290.
- Sun YF, Li M, Song G, Lei FM, Li DM# and Wu YF#. 2017. The role of climate factors in geographic variation in body mass and wing length in a passerine bird. Avian Research 8:1.
- Wu YJ, DuBay SG, Colwell RK, Ran JH and Lei FM#. 2017. Mobile hotspots and refugia of avian diversity in the mountains of south-west China under past and contemporary global climate change. Journal of Biogeography 44, 615-626.
- Zhang CL*, Quan Q*, Wu YJ, Chen YH, He P, Qu YH# and Lei FM#. 2017. Topographic heterogeneity and temperature amplitude explain species richness patterns of birds in the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Current Zoology 63(2): 131-137.
- Zhang DZ*, Song G*, Gao B, Cheng YL, Qu YH, Wu SY, Shao SM, Wu YJ, Alstrom P and Lei FM#. 2017. Genomic differentiation and patterns of gene flow between two long-tailed tit species (Aegithalos). Molecular Ecology 26: 6654-6665.
- Zhao M, Alstrom P, Hu RC, Zhao C, Hao Y, Lei FM and Qu YH#. 2017. Phylogenetic relationships, song and distribution of the endangered Rufous-headed Robin Larvivora ruficeps. Ibis 159, 204-216.
- Alstrom P, Rasmussen PC, Zhao C, Xu JZ, Dalvi S, Cai TL, Guan YY, Zhang YY, Kalyakin MV, Lei FM and Olsson U. 2016. Integrative taxonomy of the Plain-backed Thrush (Zoothera mollissima) complex (Aves, Turdidae) reveals cryptic species, including a new species. Avian Research 7(1):1-39.
- Alstrom P, Zhao M, He P and Lei FM. 2016. New locality for the endangered Blackthroat Calliope obscura. Journal of Ornithology 157:371-372.
- Bi YH, Chen JJ, Zhang ZJ, Li MX, Cai TL, Sharshov K, Susloparov I, Shestopalov A, Wong G, He YB, Xing Z, Sun JQ, Liu D, Liu YX, Liu L, Liu WJ, Lei FM, Shi WF# and Gao GF. 2016. Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 Clade 220.127.116.11c virus in migratory birds, 2014-2015. Virologica Sinica 31(4):1-6.
- Bi YH, Liu HZ, Xiong CC, Liu D, Shi WF, Li MX, Liu SL, Chen J, Chen G, Li Y, Yang GX, Lei YS, Xiong YP, Lei FM, Wang HZ, Chen QJ#, Chen JJ#, and Gao GF. 2016. Novel avian influenza A (H5N6) viruses isolated in migratory waterfowl before the first human case reported in China, 2014. Scientific Reports 6,29888.
- Li XJ, Huang Y and Lei FM. 2016. Complete mitochondrial genome of the yellow-bellied tit Parus venustulus (Passeriformes, Paridae). Mitochondrial DNA 27(5): 3216-3217.
- Li XJ, Lin LL, Cui AM, Bai J, Wang XY, Xin C, Zhang Z, Yang C, Gao RR, Huang Y# and Lei FM#. 2016. Taxonomic status and phylogenetic relationship of tits based on mitogenomes and nuclear segments. Molecular Phylogenetic and Evolution 104, 14-20.
- Li XL, Dong F, Lei FM, Alstrom P, Zhang RY, Odeen A, Zou FS and Yang XY. 2016. Shaped by uneven Pleistocene climate: mitochondrial phylogeographic pattern and population history of white wagtail Motacilla alba (Aves: Passeriformes). Journal of Avian Biology 47(2): 263-274.
- Liu SX, Jiang N, Xue DY, Cheng R, Lei FM# and Han HX#. 2016. Evolutionary history of Apocheima cinerarius (Lepidoptera: Geometridae), a female flightless moth in Northern China. Zoologica Scripta 45,160-174.
- Lu Q，Wang K，Lei FM，Yu D and Zhao HB#. 2016. Penguins Reduced Olfactory Receptor Genes Common to Other Waterbirds. Scientific Reports 31671.
- Ma YG, Huang XY, Huang Y# and Lei FM#. 2016. Complete mitochondrial genome of the Onychostruthus taczanowskii (Aves, Passeridae) and its phylogenetic analysis. Mitochondrial DNA 27(4): 2984-2985.
- Ramos R, Song G, Navarro J, Zhang RY, Symes CT, Forero MG and Lei FM. 2016. Population genetic structure and long-distance dispersal of a recently expanding migratory bird. Molecular Phylogenetic and Evolution 99,194-203.
- Shao SM, Quan Q, Cai TL, Song G, Qu YH and Lei FM#. 2016. Evolution of body morphology and beak shape revealed by a morphometric analysis of 14 Paridae species. Frontiers in Zoology 13(1):1-10.
- Song G*, Zhang RY*, DuBay SG, Qu YH, Dong L, Wang WJ, Zhang YY, Lambert DM and Lei FM#. 2016. Allopatric east and sympatric west, same population dynamics in the past: A multi-locus phylogeography of Long-tailed Tit across Eurasia continent. Zoologica Scripta 45,115-126.
- Song G*, Zhang RY*, Qu YH, Wang ZH, Dong L, Kristin A, Alstrom P, Ericson PGP, Lambert D, Fjeldsa J and Lei FM#. 2016. A zoogeographic break between the Palearctic and Sino-Japanese realms documented by consistent North / South genetic divergences in three woodland birds in eastern China. Journal of Biogeography 43, 2099-2112.
- Sun YF, Ren ZP, Wu YF, Lei FM, Dudley R and Li DM#. 2016. Flying high: limits to flight performance by sparrows on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Journal of Experimental Biology 219(22): 3642-3648.
- Zhang Z, Huang Y, Wang XY, Olsson U, Martínez J, Alstrom P# and Lei FM#. 2016. Phylogeny of Cyornis flycatchers (Aves: Muscicapidae): unexpected divergence and lack of divergence revealed. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 94, 232-241.
- Zhao Min, Alstrom P, Olsson U, Qu YH# and Lei FM#. 2016. Phylogenetic position of the Wallcreeper Tichodroma muraria. Journal of Ornithology 157:913-918.
- Alstrom P#, Xia CW, Rasmussen PC, Olsson U, Dai B, Zhao J, Learder PJ, Carey GJ, Dong L, Cai TL, Holt PI, Manh HL, Song G, Liu Y, Zhang YY and Lei FM#. 2015. Integrative taxonomy of the Russet Bush Warbler Locustella mandelli complex reveals a new species from central China. Avian Research 6:9.
- Bi YH#, Zhang ZJ, Liu WJ, Yin YB, Hong JM, Li XD, Wang HM, Wong G, Chen JJ, , Li YF, Ru WD, Gao RY, Liu D, Liu YX, Zhou BP, Gao GF, Shi WF# and Lei FM#. 2015. Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A (H5N1) Virus Struck Migratory Birds in China in 2015. Scientific Reports 5:12986.
- Lei FM#, Qu YH, Song G, Alstrom P. and Fjeldsa J. 2015. The potential drivers in forming avian biodiversity hotspots in the East Himalaya Mountains of Southwest China. Integrative Zoology 10:171-181.
- Li J, Rao YH, Sun QL, Wu XX, Jin J, Bi YH, Chen J, Lei FM, Liu QY, Duan ZY, Ma JC, Gao GF, Liu D and Liu WJ#. 2015. Identification of climate factors related to human infection with avian influenza A H7N9 and H5N1 viruses in China. Scientific Reports 5,18094-18094.
- Li XJ, Huang Y# and Lei FM#. 2015. Comparative mitochondrial genomics and phylogenetic relationship of Crossoptilon species (Phasianidae, Galliformes). BMC Genomics 16:42.
- Mays HL#, McKay BD, Tietze DT, Yao CT, Miller L, Moreland K and FM Lei. 2015. A multilocus molecular phylogeny for the avian genus Liocichla (Passeriformes: Leiothrichidae: Liocichla). Avian Research 6:17.
- Peterson AT, Moyle RG, Lei FM, Campillo LC, Hosner PA, Klicka LB, Lim HC, Nyári áS, Qu YH, Reddy S, Sheldon FH and Zou FS. 2015. Avian evolution and speciation in the Southeast Asian tropics. Current Zoology 61 (5): 898-900.
- Qu YH*, Fu J*, Han NJ, Zhao HW, Gao B, Tian SL, Cheng YL, Song G, Ericson PGP, Zhang Y, Wang DW, Quan Q, Jiang Z, Li RQ and Lei FM#. 2015. Genetic responses to seasonal variation in altitudinal stress: whole-genome resequencing of great tits in East Himalayas. Scientific Reports 5: 14256-14256.
- Qu YH, Song G, Gao B, Quan Q, Ericson PGP and Lei FM#. 2015. The influence of geological events on the endemism of East Asian birds studied through comparative phylogeography. Journal of Biogeography 42, 179-192.
- Quan Q, Qu YH and Lei FM#. 2015. Genetic diversification in the East Himalayas as revealed by comparative phylogeography of the black-throated bushtit and Elliot's laughing thrush. Current Zoology 61 (5): 935-942.
- Shaner PJ, Tsao TH, Lin RC, Liang W, Ye CF, Yang XJ, Lei FM, Zhou F, Yang CC and Li SH. 2015. Climate niche differentiation between two passerines despite ongoing gene flow. Journal of Animal Ecology 84, 829-839.
- Wang XY, Liu N, Yang J. Huang Y# and Lei FM#. 2015. Seven complete mitochondrial genome sequences of bushtits (Passeriformes, Aegithalidae, Aegithalos): the evolution pattern in duplicated control regions. Mitochondria DNA 26 (3): 350-356.
- Wang XY, Liu N, Zhang HL, Yang XJ, Huang Y# and Lei FM#. 2015. Extreme variation in patterns of tandem repeats in mitochondrial control region of yellow-browed tits (Sylviparus modestus, Paridae). Scientific Reports 5:13227.
- Zhang GJ#, Rahbek C#, Graves GR#, Lei FM#, Jarvis ED# and Gilbert MTP#. 2015. Bird sequencing project takes off. Nature 522,34, s1.
- Jiang Zhigang, Lei Fumin, Zhang Chunlan and Liu Moucheng. 2015. Biodiversity conservation and its research process, pp. 29-45. In: Li Wenhua (ed.). Contemporary Ecology Research in China. Higher Education Press, Beijing, China; Springer Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London. DOI 10.1007/978-3-662-48376-3.
- Alstrom P, Hooper DM, Liu Y, Olsson U, Mohan D, Gelang M, Hung LM, Zhao J, Lei FM, Price TR. 2014. Discovery of a relict lineage of passerine birdin a monotypic family. Biology Letters 10(3): 31067-31067.
- Cui LB, Liu D, Shi WF, Pan JC, Qi X, Li XB, Guo XL, Zhou MH, Li W, Li J, Xiao HX, Yu XF, Pu XY, Wu Y, Yu HY, Zhao KC, Zhu YF, Wu B, Jin T, Shi ZY, Tang FY, Zhu FC, Sun QL, Wu LH, Yang RF, Shi Y, Yan JH, Lei FM, Zhu BL, Liu WJ, Ma JC, Wang H, GF Gao. 2013. Dynamic reassortments and host-adapting genetic drift drive the diversity of the human-infecting influenza A (H7N9) virus. Nature Communications 5, 3142.
- Cui P#, Zhou DQ, Wu Y, Wu J, Lei JC, Shao MQ, Liu GH, Wu XD, Wu JD, Ji WT and Lei FM#. 2014. The ecological risks of avian influenza virus spread via migratory birds: A case study at Poyang Lake, China. Pakistan J. Zool. 46(6): 1545-1555.
- Dong F, Li SH, Zou FS, Lei FM, Liang W, Yang JX#, Yang XJ#. 2014. Molecular systematics and plumage coloration evolution of an enigmatic babbler (Pomatorhinus ruficollis) in East Asia. Molecular Phylogenetic and Evolution 70,76-83.
- Dong F, Zou FS, Lei FM, Liang W, Li SH and Yang XJ. 2014. Testing hypotheses of mitochondrial gene-tree paraphyly: unraveling mitochondrial capture of the Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler (Pomatorhinus ruficollis) by the Taiwan Scimitar Babbler ( P. musicus). Molecular Ecology 23, 5855-5867.
- Hung CM, Hung HY, Yeh CF, Fu YQ, Chen D, Lei FM, Yao CT, Yao CJ, Yang XJ Lai YT and Li SH. 2014. Species delimitation in the Chinese bamboo partridge Bambusicola thoracica (Phasianidae; Aves). Zoologica Scripta 43(6):562-575.
- Lei FM#, Qu YH and Song G. 2014. Species diversification and phylogeographical patterns of birds in response to the uplift of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and Quaternary glaciations. Current Zoology 60(2): 149-161.
- Li XB, Zhang Z, Yu AL, Ho SYW, Carr MJ, Zheng WM, Zhang YZ, Zhu CD#, Lei FM#, Shi WF#. 2014. Global and Local Persistence Featuring the Migration Dynamics of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A H5N1 Viruses. Emerging Infectious Diseases 20(8):1287-1295.
- Li XJ, Huang Y# and Lei FM#. 2014. Complete mitochondrial genome sequence of Bonasa sewerzowi (Galliformes: Phasianidae) and phylogenetic analysis. Zoological Systematics 39(3): 359-371.
- Ma YG, Huang Y and Lei FM. 2014. Sequencing and phylogenetic analysis of the Pyrgilauda ruficollis (Aves, Passeridae) complete mitochondrial genome. Zoological Research 35 (2): 81-91.
- Qi WB, Zhou XF, Shi WF, Huang LH, Xiao XC, Xia W, Liu D, Li HN, Chen SG, Lei FM, Cao L, Wu JW, He FL, Song WT, Li Q, Li H, Liao M, Liu MB. 2014. Genesis of the novel human-infecting influenza A(H10N8) virus and potential genetic diversity of the virus in poultry, China. Eurosurveillance 19(25): 50-62.
- Qu YH, Ericson PGP, Quan Q, Song G, Gao B, Zhang RY and Lei FM#. 2014. Long-term isolation and stability explain high genetic diversity in the Eastern Himalaya. Molecular Ecology 23, 705-720.
- Qu YH, Song G, Gao B, Quan Q, Ericson PGP and Lei FM#. 2014. The influence of geological events on the endemism of East Asian birds studied through comparative phylogeography. Journal of Biogeography 42, 179-192.
- Song G, Alstrom P#, Gao XB, Zhang YW, Gong HS, Holt PI, Quan Q, Yin ZH and Lei FM#. 2014. Rediscovery of an enigmatic Chinese passerine, the Blackthroat Calliope obscura: plumage, vocalizations, distribution, habitat choice, nesting and conservation. Journal of Ornithology 155: 347-356.
- Wang WJ, Dai CY, Alstrom P, Zhang CL, Qu YH, Li SH, Yang XJ, Zhao N, Song G and Lei FM#. 2014. Past hybridization between two East Asian long-tailed tits (Aegithalos bonvaloti and A. fuliginosus). Frontiers in Zoology 11:40
- Wu YJ, Colwell RK, Quan Q, Zhang CL and Lei FM#. 2014. Understanding the species richness pattern of babblers along an elevational gradient from historical and ecological viewpoints. Global Ecology and Biogeography 23, 1167-1176.
- Chu JH, Wegmann D, Yeh CF, Lin RC, Yang XJ, Lei FM, Yao CT, Zou FS and Li SH. 2013. Inferring the geographic mode of speciation by contrasting autosomal and sex-linked genetic diversity. Molecular Biology and Evolution 30(11):2519-2530.
- Dai CY, Wang WJ and Lei FM#. 2013. Multilocus phylogeography (mitochondrial, autosomal and Z-chromosomal loci) and genetic consequences of long-distance male dispersal in Black-throated tits (Aegithalos concinnus). Heredity 110(5): 457-465.
- Liu D, Shi WF, Shi Y, Wang DY, Xiao HX, Li W, Bi YH, Wu Y, Li XB, Yan JH, Liu WJ, Zhao GP, Yang WZ, Wang Y, Ma JC, Shu YL#, Lei FM# and Gao GF#. 2013. Origin and diversity of novel avian influenza A H7N9 viruses causing human infection: phylogenetic, structural, and coalescent analyses. Lancet 381(9881): 1926-1932.
- Qu YH, Zhao HW, Han NJ, Zhou GY, Song G, Gao B, Tian SL, Zhang JB, Zhang RY, Meng XH, Zhang Y, Zhang Y, Zhu XJ, Wang WJ, Lambert D, Ericson PGP, Yeung C, Zhu HM, Jiang Z, Li RQ# and Lei FM#. 2013. Ground tit genome reveals avian adaptation to living at high altitudes in the Tibetan plateau. Nature Communication. 4, 2071
- Song G, Yu LJ, Gao B, Zhang RY, Qu YH, Lambert DM, Li SH, Zhou TL and Lei FM#. 2013. Gene flow maintains genetic diversity and colonization potential in recently range-expanded populations of an Oriental bird, the Light-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis, Aves: Pycnonotidae). Diversity and Distribution 19, 1248–1262..
- Wang WJ, McKay BD, Dai CY, Zhao N, Zhang RY, Qu YH, Song G, Li SH, Liang W, Yang XJ, Pasquet E and Lei FM#. 2013. Glacial expansion and diversification of an East Asian montane bird, the green-backed tit (Parus monticolus). Journal of Biogeography 40(6): 1156–1169.
- Wu YJ, Robert C, Rahbek C, Zhang CL, Quan Q, Wang CK and Lei FM#. 2013. Explaining the species richness of birds along an elevational gradient in the subtropical Hengduan Mountains, China. Journal of Biogeography 40, 2310-2323.
- Xing XY, Alstrom P#, Yang XJ and Lei FM#. 2013. Recent northward range expansion promotes song evolution in a passerine bird, the Light-vented Bulbul. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 26(4): 867-877.
- Huang XL, Hawkins BA, Lei FM, Miller GL, Favret C, Zhang RL and Qiao GX. 2012. Willing or unwilling to share primary biodiversity data: results and implications of an international survey. Conservation Letters 5:399-406.
- Lei FM#. 2012. Global endemism needs spatial integration. Science 335, 284-285.
- Li DM, Wang G, Wingfield JC# and Lei FM#. 2012. A comparison of the adrenocortical responses to acute stress in cardueline finches from the Tibetan Plateau, Arctic Alaska and lowland Western North America. Journal of Ornithology 153:761-770.
- Liu HT, Wang WJ, Song G, Qu YH, Li SH Jon Fjeldsa J and Lei FM#. 2012. Interpreting the process behind endemism in China by integrating the phylogeography and ecological niche models of the Stachyris ruficeps. PLOS ONE e46761.
- Qu YH, Zhang RY, Quan Q, Song G, Li SH and Lei FM#. 2012. Incomplete lineage sorting or secondary admixture: disentangling historical divergence from recent gene flow in the Vinous-throated parrotbill (Paradoxornis webbianus). Molecular Ecology 21, 6117–6133.
- Zhang RY. Song G, Qu YH, Alstrom P, Ramos R, Xing XY, Ericson PG, Fjeldsa J, Wang HT, Yang XJ, Kristin A, Shestopalov AM, Choe JC and Lei FM#. 2012. Comparative phylogeography of two widespread magpies: Importance of habitat preference and breeding behavior on genetic structure in China. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 65: 562-572.
- Zhao N, Dai CY, Wang WJ, Zhang RY, Qu YH, Song G, Chen K, Yang XJ, Zou FS and Lei FM#. 2012. Pleistocene climate changes shaped the divergence and demography of Asian populations of the great tit Parus major: evidence from phylogeographic analysis and ecological niche models. Journal of Avian Biology 43: 297-310.
- Cui P, Hou YS, Tang MJ, Zhang HT, Zhou YC, Yin ZH, Li TX, Guo S, Xing Z, He YB, Prosser DJ, Newman SH, Takekawa JY, Yan BP and Lei FM#. 2011. Movements of the Bar-headed Geese Anser indicus in relation to H5N1 spread during breeding and post breeding periods in Qinghai Lake, China. Journal of Ornithology 152: 83-92.
- Cui P, Hou YS, Xing Z, He YB, Li TX, Guo S, Luo Z, Yan BP, Yin ZH and Lei FM#. 2010. Bird Migration and Risk for H5N1 Transmission into Qinghai Lake, China. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases 11(5): 567-576.
- Dai CY, Zhao N, Wang WJ, Lin CT, Gao B, Yang XJ, Zhang ZW and Lei FM#. 2011. Application of Phylogeographic and Ecological Niche Models to an East Asian subspecies group of Black-throated tit (Aegithalos concinnus talifuensis–concinnus): novel patterns, complex dynamics, multiple refugia and conservation insights. PLoS ONE 6 (12): e29329.
- Lei FM and Shi WF. 2011. Prospective of genomics in revealing transmission, reassortment and evolution of wildlife-borne avian influenza A (H5N1) viruses. Current Genomics 12(7): 451-465.
- Qu YH, Luo X, Zhang RY, Song G, Zou FS and Lei FM#. 2011. Lineage diversification and historical demography of a montane bird Garrulax elliotii - implications for the Pleistocene evolutionary history of the eastern Himalayas. BMC Evolutionary Biology 11:174.
- Qu YH, Zhang RY, Cui P, Song G, Duan ZY# and Lei FM#. 2011. Evolutionary genomics of the pandemic 2009 H1N1 (pH1N1v) influenza viruses. Virology Journal 8: 250.
- Wu HC, Lin RC, Hung HY, Yeh CF, Yang XJ, Yao CJ, Zou FS, Yao CT, Li SH# and Lei FM#. 2011. Molecular and morphological evidences revealed the cryptic species in the vinaceous rosefinch Carpodacus vinaceus (Fringillidae; Aves). Zoologica Scripta 40(5):468-478.
- Qu YH, Lei FM#, Zhang RY and Lu X. 2010. Comparative phylogeography of five avian species: implications for Pleistocene evolutionary history in the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. Molecular Ecology 19: 338-351.
- Shi WF, Lei FM, Zhu CD and Higgins DG. 2010. A complete analysis of HA genes of influenza A viruses. PLOS ONE 5(12):14454.
- Qu YH, Lei FM#. 2009. Comparative phylogeography of two endemic birds of the Tibetan plateau, white-rumped snow finch (Onychostruthus taczanowskii) and Hume's ground tit (Pseudopodoces humilis). Molecular Phylogenetics Evolution 51:312-326.
- Song G, Qu YH, Yin ZH, Li SH, Liu NF and Lei FM#. 2009. Phylogeography of the Alcippe morrisonia (Aves: Timaliidae): long population history beyond late Pleistocene glaciations. BMC Evolutionary Biology 9: 143.
- Li DM, Wang G, Wingfield JC, Zhang Z, Ding CQ and Lei FM#. 2008. Seasonal changes in adrenocortical responses to acute stress in Eurasian Tree Sparrows (Passer montanus) from Tibetan Plateau: comparison with House Sparrow (P. domesticus) in North America and with the migratory P. domesticus bactrianus in Qinghai Province. General Comparative Endocrinology 158(1): 47-53.
- Luo X, Qu YH, Li SH, Han LX and Lei FM#. 2008. A phylogenetic analysis of laughingthrushes (Timaliidae: Garrulax) and their allies using mitochondrial and nucleotide sequences. Zoologica Scripta 38(1):9-22.
- Lei FM, Wei GA, Zhao HF, Yin ZH and Lu JL. 2007. China subregional avian endemism and biodiversity conservation. Biodiversity and Conservation 16:1119-1130.
- Qu YH, Ericson PGP, Lei FM#, Gebauer A, Kaiser M and Helbig A. 2006. Molecular phylogenetic relationship of snow finch complex (genera Montifringilla, Pyrgilauda and Onychostruthus) from the Tibetan plateau. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 40:218-226.
- Qu YH, Ericson PG, Lei FM and Li SH. 2005. Postglacial colonization of the Tibet plateau inferred from the matrilineal genetic structure of the endemic red-necked snow finch, Pyrgilauda ruficollis. Molecular Ecology 14:1767-1781.
- Kou Z, Lei FM#, Yu J, Fan ZJ, Yin ZH, Jia CX, Xiong KJ, Sun YH, Zhang XW, Wu XM, Gao XB and Li TX#. 2005. New genotype avian influenza H5N1 viruses were isolated from tree sparrows in China. Journal of Virology 79(24):15460-15466.
- Liu JH, Xiao HX, Lei F(co-first author), Zhu Q, Zhang XW, Zhang XL, Zhao D, Wang G, Feng Y, Ma J, Liu W, Wang J, Gao GF. 2005. Highly pathogenic H5N1 influenza virus infection in migratory birds. Science 309:1206.